Monday, February 14, 2011

Awesome Writing!

Parents,

Many of you have asked to see a few papers that were scored 4s. These papers all have a strong lead, conclusion, great vocabulary and they focus on one moment. Many of our papers lose focus or start talking about the next day. Please notice that the paper below focuses on something very simple, reaching an AR Goal. The young author makes a small, everyday thing, seem extraordinary.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Shooting for my goal!
        

          It’s a possibility that I could pass the AR quiz, but it’s another possibility I could fail it.
          It was as quiet as a haunted house. No one would be able to speak a word because we were in the library. Today I was going to do my AR quiz on The cabinet of wonders, and I was determined to get a 100. The tables sat in the center of the room. The screen that the projector reflected on was covering the blinds. Kids came pouring into their seats. Bookshelf’s sat in every corner of the room holding books that could weigh millions. I ambled towards my table. Then I quietly sat with my classmates. Dread filled the air. I doubt that I could make 100% on my quiz, but part of me said I could do it. I sat straight and tall, feeling confident, and also waiting for what Mrs. had to annoce.

          Mr.’s voice echoed through the huge room,” You may check out books or take quizzes.” She dismissed every table, and I knew exactly what I was going to do. The computer and I were face to face, and I was still not for sure if I could do this. My hand moved forward clenching the mouse and moving it back and forth on the table telling the computer to wake up. The screen brightened and seemed to be the only light. My fingers trembled against the keyboard. My heart pounded as if it was going to pop out of my chest. My legs felt like butter just waiting to melt. My stomach bundled up into a knot. “What if I get them all wrong?” I thought. “Maybe I should do this tomorrow or another day.” I whispered. “No your doing this today pull yourself together!” another part of me babbled. I took a big gulp and clicked on the mouse once more and was about to begin.

          “Five more minutes!’’ yelled Mrs. ‘’What? Already?’’ I thought. The screen started asking me questions about the book. My fingers were clenched into a fist knocking on the table. I read the question one more time. “Ummmm….uhhhh A?,” I asked myself. I finally picked my answer. I sat there motionless thinking back into the book.” Hurry up five more minutes are almost done don’t be a chicken,” I told myself. I was down to my last question. I took a deep long breath. Then without thinking twice I picked C even though I wasn’t a 100 percent sure. The computer took its time loading my score. Then suddenly it was done! My jaw dropped. My heart pumped at a regular speed again. I couldn’t believe the outstanding score. “I got a 100! ,” I screamed to the world……or maybe just the library. Either way I  was as proud as could be that I met my goal.

       I learned that all you need to do to meet a goal is to trust in yourself and shoot for the stars.

        

1 comment:

Betsy George said...

GOOoooooD JoB

Post a Comment